Notes from the House Committee
• Updates to the Lounge side of the Lodge will begin early 2019. First phase of the project includes replacing ceiling tiles.
• A sound system with microphone and speakers was purchased for the Lodge.
• The House Committee Holiday Party will be held on Friday, December 14.
• Thanks to all volunteers who helped make our Comedy Night and Eagles Game day breakfast a huge success.
A special thanks to Anthony Iorri. He dedicatedmany hoursskillfully and meticulously refurbishing the Lodge lecterns.
• Bingo night at the Veterans Hospital in Elsmere will be held on Wednesday, November 28 at 7 pm. If you and family members are interested in helping with this fun event, please contact Kate at email@example.com
• This year the Thanksgiving Dinner serving Veterans and Elks members, families and guests will be held on Monday, November 19. More information regarding volunteer opportunities, donations for Veterans, and children’s Americanism programs will be posted at the Lodge and in email distributions.
Youth Activities Committee
The Children’s Halloween Party was again a huge success. We had a great team of volunteers, parents and children, that cooked and provided support for activities and the costume parade.
Notes from the Swim Club
• Very successful 57th season for the Club.
• Looking at the Swim Club waiting list for the 2019 Season, the Committee recommends that new member applicants, interested in pool membership, be Initiated before the end of this year.
DO YOU KNOW A HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR?
LOOK AT THE OPPORTUNITIES TO RECEIVE AN ELKS COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP!
MOST VALUABLE STUDENT AWARD
WHO: All high school seniors who are U.S. citizens may apply, including seniors from public schools, vocational or technical schools, charter and private schools as well as homeschools. Students do not need to be related to Elks members.
WHAT: Nationally, there will be 500 scholarships available, half for males and half for females. The top twenty scholarships range from $20,000 to $50,000 over four years. The Scholarship essays are judged on academic scholarship, community service and financial need. High school guidance counselors have additional information about the essay process.
WHEN: The on-line application for the Most Valuable Student (MVS) awards is now open and available at enf.elks.org/mvs. The deadline to apply is November 15, 2018.
ELKS LODGE #307 SCHOLARSHIPS
Elks Lodge #307 is offering two $500 scholarships for the winners’ first year of college. These locally awarded scholarships use the same application form as the National MVS awards, again located at the following website enf.elks.org/mvs. This year, these awards are dedicated to the memory of Elk member, Butch Ciccone.
EMERGENCY EDUCATIONAL GRANT
WHO: This scholarship is for the children of deceased or disabled Elks Members.
WHAT: It is a one year scholarship and students can apply each year to receive a scholarship for up to
four years. Eligibility includes financial need.
WHEN: Applications are available through the Elks National Foundation Scholarship Office and must be completed by October 31, 2018.
THE LEGACY AWARD
WHO and WHAT: The Legacy Awards are $4,000 scholarships for college-bound high school seniors
who are children or grandchildren of dues-paying Elks members. The Foundation will offer a total of 300 awards in the 2019 contest.
WHEN: The on-line application for the Legacy Awards will open on September 1, 2018, available at enf.elks.org/mvs with a deadline of February 1, 2019.
CAREER AND TECHNOLOGY SCHOLARSHIP
WHO: This scholarship, for Lodges in the Maryland, Delaware, and District of Columbia State Association, is available to students who are planning to pursue vocational-technical training.
WHAT: The training program is to be no longer than two years in duration and should result in a certificate, diploma, or associate degree.
WHEN: The process for applying will be posted on the Elks State website by November 1.
Elk’s Lodge #307 Scholarship Chairperson Bob Strong, and the Scholarship Committee, will be reviewing essays in December for the local Lodge #307 awards. If you have questions or would like additional information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org